The purchase of the Memorial window from Shrigley and Hunt was recorded in the company’s ledger in 1919, costing £130. The company’s monogram is in the bottom right-hand corner
Arthur William Hunt (1849-1917) established the firm of Shrigley and Hunt in Lancaster in 1872. Initially the windows were made in London, but in 1875 he installed kilns in his premises in Castle Hill and all the glass was produced in Lancaster. The history of the company is well documented in a book by William Waters and some of the original ledgers and design books are held at Lancashire Archives on Bow Lane.
St George and St Michael were often used as symbolic of soldiers and battles. Note the garland across the shoulders of St George and the labels below the cartoons which are features of Shrigley and Hunt work.