This window is dedicated to Robert Orrell who died in 1862 and his wife Hannah who died in 1870, dedicated by their daughter Jane Matilda.
Robert was a cotton manufacturer who moved to Fulwood in the late 1850s after he had retired. The 1861 census recorded the family on Victoria Road and by this time Robert, age 66, was listed as a proprietor of houses.
After the deaths of her parents, their daughter Jane stayed at Bank House until the 1880s. She died in Southport in 1884.
The window depicts four miracles of Jesus.
The top window has the Orrell coat of arms surmounted by a lion’s head with a collar about its neck.
The motto reads ‘Esto Quad, Esse Videris’ meaning ‘to be, rather that to seem to be’.
A Victorian journalist and historian called Anthony Hewitson visited Christ Church in 1872 and wrote about the building in his book ‘Our Churches and Chapels’. He commented that only one window had stained glass (Henrietta’s window) and ‘much beauty could be added’ if more windows were coloured.
The Orrell window is one of four windows added soon after Mr Hewitson’s remarks and thought to be by Lavers, Barraud and Westlake.