The Great West window depicts Christ and the four Evangelists, Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. Underneath are their traditional symbols – a man, a lion, an ox and an eagle.
John Bell was born in 1850. At the age of one, he was living with his widowed grandmother and his aunt and uncle, William and Elizabeth Wolstenholme, who later adopted him. At the age of twenty one, John qualified as a schoolmaster and soon after met his future wife Esther, who was also a certified teacher. They married in 1874.
Their first home in Fulwood was in Brackenbury Road, moving later to South View on Watling St Road. The 1891 census recorded his occupation as the clerk to the Clerk of the Guardians and Registrar of births deaths and marriages. Esther was a headmistress of an elementary school.
Following Esther’s death in 1912, John dedicated much of his spare time to the administration of Christ Church. He acted as sidesman, warden, auditor and vestry clerk. His last entry in the vestry minute book in April 1918, just a month before he died, was to propose the appointment of a Parochial Church Council to oversee the financial affairs of the parish and the maintenance of the church buildings.
John and Esther had no children and it is not known who arranged the installation of the window. It was dedicated the same year as the memorial window designed by Shrigley and Hunt, and shows some similarity of style and has therefore been attributed to this maker. A good collection of windows by Shrigley and Hunt can been seen in Christ Church, Lancaster.