The purchase of this single-light window depicting Jesus Christ’s ascension, from Shrigley and Hunt is recorded in the company’s ledger (DDSR 1/3 page 74) in 1911. The cost was £27.10.
The risen Christ ascending into the heavenly host of angels was a much used cartoon by the firm. The original sketch was made by a Swedish designer called Carl Almquist (1849-1924) and is most appropriate for vicars.
There is a window very similar to this in Christ Church, Lancaster.
John Palmour followed his brother Walter as vicar at Christ Church. He was born in Loveston in Wales, son of John Dawkins Palmour, Vicar of Jeffreyston. At the age of nineteen, John attended Jesus College, Oxford.
Before moving to Fulwood, he was Curate at St Mary’s Church, Lancaster for fifteen years. The first four vicars in Fulwood stayed for a relatively short time, but John, who took up his post in 1874, served the parish for twenty seven years. It was to be a challenging role. By 1871 the population of Fulwood had risen to 3000 with an increase in the number of middle class homes and the building of Preston Union Workhouse on Watling St Road. Another 2000 would join the community before the turn of the century.
Reverend Palmour seemed keen to involve himself in the local community by representing the Anglican Church on a number of committees. Christ Church showed strong support for the Temperance Movement; John was Chairman of the Fulwood Branch of the Church of England Temperance Society and its meetings were held in the Parochial Hall.
He died in July 1901 age 68. The window was erected by his widow and sons.