Christ Church was designed by the architectural practice of Myres and Veevers. The main contractors for the project were Cooper and Tullis, a Preston based firm responsible for many of the town’s impressive buildings including the Town Hall, Harris Library and Fulwood Barracks.
The funds to build the church were raised through the difficult years of Lancashire’s Cotton famine when mills closed due to the shortage of raw cotton imported from America. Fulwoodians were rightly proud of the result of their hard work and gathered outside Christ Church to be photographed by Robert Pateson in 1865. At this time all the windows had plain glass in them, replaced later with the beautiful stained-glass which we see today.
Entrance through the north porch brings the visitor into the western end of the nave. Pews were removed from this area some years ago to create a communal space where parishioners can meet and socialise.
The font, thought to have been sculpted by Thomas Duckett jnr, remains in its original position and a centre piece of this western end.
Christ Church has eleven stained glass windows: the earliest was installed in the late 1860s and the last in 1936; they symbolize seventy five years of design history and social change.
The makers of three of the windows have been confirmed in records held at Lancashire Archives. The other windows have been attributed to makers based on their characteristic design features and the period in which they were installed.
We are grateful to Colin Stansfield who has shared his extensive knowledge of church architecture with us. His contribution has been invaluable.
In the following plan the windows are numbered from east to west. The first two windows (No.1) on each side of the nave were deliberately left clear so that natural light could fall on the pulpit and lectern.
This church, like most, was built so that the congregation faced east. From any pew in the nave, the focal point is the spectacular Great East window and the reredos in the chancel.